Scripting News: Thursday, October 3, 2024

A ChatGPT news network would be pretty interesting. You could register as an independent blogger, and push your writing up to their cloud in real time. And then readers could ask what experts on whatever think about what just happened and it would know what your expertise is, and it could build the report also in realtime, in response to a very detailed question you could ask. And you could tell it whether or not you want lies, or if they should omit the lies. Personally I would opt out of the lies, but some people like lies in their news, kind of like menthol in cigarettes. And forget about paying the news orgs. They don't give you a way to opt out of the lies. #
So far we've only created reading portals. What I want for myself and for you, is a writing portal. Think about it.#
I didn't like the code ChatGPT was writing for me, so I tried it in Claude, and the code is much closer to my style. I may try that again. I've heard it's better at supporting code than other chatbots. #
I didn't read the WSJ story about the deflation of expertise, quoting Vinod Khosla, Silicon Valley venture capitalist, who I know from my time in California. He says AI leads to a deflation of expertise. I agree with him, AI absolutely deflates the value of expertise. #
It aggregates all of our knowledge in one place where it's easy to access, about anything you want to know. It answers questions that you can't get any other way. #
Some technological developments are profound. We never understand all the implications of a new technology when it comes online, but you do get some strong clues. You have to use it to know learn how to think about it. That's not unreasonable because we all grew up in a world that didn't have this technology, as my parents grew up in a world without television, and I didn't use a computer until I was 18 or use the web until I was 37. None of us grew up with anything but fiction about AI, and the fiction imho didn't grasp the implications very well. #
If I ask good questions ChatGPT stretches my mind in ways it never has been stretched before and I'm well educated and in my work have explored frontiers of knowledge, even so -- this is the most mind-stretching experience I've ever had. Not kidding. And I'm not a VC or prone to overhyping tech. #
So far we've only created reading portals. What I want for myself and for you, is a writing portal. #
    A reading portal brings a lot of writers together so you can read them all in one place.#
    A writing portal is the same idea but in reverse. I write in my portal, and it flows where ever I want it to.#
The problem is the reading portals aren't open to allow this to work.#
They all want you to write in their tiny little text boxes.#

Linkblog items for the day.

This is a tiny little text box. My goal is to eradicate these beasts scripting.com
Crazy Stupid Tech is a weekly newsletter about innovation and new technologies by longtime tech journalists Om Malik and Fred Vogelstein. crazystupidtech.com
Former county clerk Tina Peters sentenced to 9 years for voting-system breach arstechnica.com
New Yorker's 'Social Media Is Killing Kids' Article Waits 71 Paragraphs To Admit Evidence Doesn't Support The Premise. techdirt.com
If I ask good questions ChatGPT stretches my mind in ways it never has been stretched before. scripting.com
Automattic demanded web host pay $32M annually for using WordPress trademark. arstechnica.com
And forget about paying the news orgs. They don't give you a way to opt out of the lies. scripting.com
scripting.com turns thirty in: 3 days, 51 minutes, 11 seconds. scripting.com
I don't think you can claim to be part of the "social web" if you don't support links, btw. It's the most basic feature of the web. bsky.app
Ian Kennedy put together a portal of NYC bloggers, sorted by borough, using FeedLand. threads.net
So far we've only created reading portals. What I want for myself and for you, is a writing portal. Think about it. scripting.com
2004: Anatomy of an iPodder. archive.org
"Part of being a Mets fan is the pain." gothamist.com
John Roberts' Sordid Legacy: 14 Pages of Mean Tweets. emptywheel.net
I'm still waiting for the podcast client that can subscribe to OPML lists, so I can subscribe to shows from my desktop. If one of them did, we could start curated lists of feeds put together by smart people and influencers. scripting.com
The Making of Mork and Mindy. gizmodo.com
Trump election interference trial: Jack Smith's big new Jan. 6 brief is a major indictment of the Supreme Court. slate.com
Copyright 1994-2024 Dave Winer.
This email was sent on: 10/4/2024, 12:00:01 AM Eastern.
"It's a good time for a backup."
This blog has been running for: 29 years, 11 months, 27 days, 9 hours, 0 minutes, 1 second.
How to subscribe. Read on the web. Click here to unsubscribe.

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Scripting News: Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Scripting News: Tuesday, February 13, 2024