Scripting News: Friday, November 10, 2023

The NYT, which I subscribe to, sent me an email today that linked to a page of easy soup recipes. I thought this is nice, I thought their cooking site was extra money, which I refuse to pay because I think I already give them far too much money for the value I get. But when I clicked on one of the pictures I was told this is a "subscriber-only recipe." This is incredibly disrespectful and probably unethical, because I was being conned by an ad, thinking it was journalistic content that I actually paid for. I used to love the NYT. I grew up reading them along with everyone else in my family. Now they betray that every chance they get. Whoever is running the NYT now is running it into the ground as far as I'm concerned. #
I asked ChatGPT for a quick and easy chicken noodle soup recipe and it obliged, without any upsell. NYT this is your competition. #
I applied for a Bluesky invite a long time ago, got the notification today. Maybe Bluesky is going to try to grow. Feeling the heat from Threads perhaps.#

Linkblog items for the day.

Fans of Connections, rejoice! Rebooted classic sci-doc series returns with original host. (This is a great show.) arstechnica.com
Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg details Tumblr's future after re-org. techcrunch.com
How Abortion Could Define the 2024 Presidential Race. nytimes.com
Om Malik on the AI Pin device. om.co
Charlie Stross: "I'd like to explain why I — and other SF authors — are terrible guides to the future." antipope.org
Multiracial democracy in America will live on despite Trump. editorialboard.com
The Knicks are Alright: Early Season Returns. theknickswall.com
Why 'Bidenomics' failed. substack.com
The amateur presenter. seths.blog
The 20 Farming Families Who Use More Water From the Colorado River Than Some Western States. propublica.org
Copyright 1994-2023 Dave Winer.
This email was sent on: 11/11/2023, 12:00:01 AM Eastern.
"What a long strange trip it's been."
This blog has been running for: 29 years, 1 month, 3 days, 10 hours, 0 minutes, 1 second.
How to subscribe. Read on the web. Click here to unsubscribe.

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Scripting News: Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Scripting News: Tuesday, February 13, 2024