Scripting News: Tuesday, May 7, 2024

I said this to a friend recently, in an email: "I noticed a change with the doctors, where earlier they would dismiss my fears of having this or that fatal disease, now they're always looking for the thing that's going to kill me." The friend, a retired English professor, said the sentence was very effective. Part of me would like to send the sentence and the review to my freshman English professor, I think she would be proud. Instead I decided to blog it. #
BTW, I was struck that famous editor and writer Ben Smith said he was ashamed at starting out as a blogger, on an MSNBC show hosted by a true hack. The quote was from Jeff Jarvis, who like me, cross-posts to a variety of social webs, presumably manually. Where did I put my comment? Hell if I know. Heh I found it. My comment: "I didn't know he had been a blogger. So my respect for him went up dramatically in an instant, and in another instant, plummeted. What's wrong with people?" Bad news for Ben, he's still is a blogger, btw, in his heart. I can tell. And true journalists and true bloggers share an ethos that the fakers like Morning Joe will never understand. So I guess when you're on with Joe you have to pander. Just remember Ben, we know who you are. Even if you have forgotten. 😄#
I asked ChatGPT for "a rustic street scene in Co-op City in the Bronx."#
An actual street scene in Co-op City.#
I fooled it. Co-op City is in a part of the Bronx that is not old. There's nothing rustic about it. Or even possible. #
Before Co-op City became a massive housing project it was an amusement park called FreedomLand. #

Linkblog items for the day.

Substack is trying to lure TikTok stars to its platform. engadget.com
Wordle Now Lets You Go Back and Play Puzzles You May Have Missed. gizmodo.com
Top New York Times Editor Offers Stunning Defense of Coverage of Trump. newrepublic.com
Colorado River Indian Tribes sign historic water rights settlement. tucsonsentinel.com
1994: Apple vs Carl Sagan. time.com
Can the ICC Actually Arrest Netanyahu? foreignpolicy.com
I was asked on Threads what NY restaurant I miss the most. There are lots. But Ratner's is #1. Their food was fantastic, the ambience even better, and the waiters were wonderfully NY-grouchy. wikipedia.org
Ozempic Is Repairing a Hole in Our Diets Created by Processed Foods. nytimes.com
Copyright 1994-2024 Dave Winer.
This email was sent on: 5/8/2024, 12:00:01 AM Eastern.
"Shut up and eat your vegetables."
This blog has been running for: 29 years, 7 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 0 minutes, 1 second.
How to subscribe. Read on the web. Click here to unsubscribe.

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Scripting News: Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Scripting News: Tuesday, February 13, 2024