Scripting News: Monday, October 5, 2026
I started blogging on October 7, 1994. Thirty-two years on Wednesday. The longest running blog, and it's still even worse than it appears. #
I love what Claude Code does, but hate working with it. It doesn't have any sense of how humans think. Its way of working with us is incompatible with what I can do. Burns me out. And it has to relearn the basics every session, and getting the rules into its memory doesn't work, they don't incorporate them until the break a rule, sometimes more than once. So when it's doing something super complex, like making it so that our internet verbs run synchronously in JavaScript, it can do huge amounts of work in a short time, far more complex code than I can. I hope at Anthropic they're working on teaching them, in a pragmatic way, how humans work and what we can and can't do, and what we rely on them to do and what we have to control. This isn't a Matrix style story btw (one of my favorite movies) my version of Agent Smith is a nice very smart, kind, generous and accepting person.#
What's the best way to block a browser from a website? Is there a meta code for that? Like Firefox is fine, but Google is blocked. Just an idea. Sort of like, you're not blocking me, I'm blocking you. #
- Until last week I was mostly using an old version of Chrome, so had never seen the gate it puts in front of my blog, scripting.com. #
- Here's a screen shot of their awful dialog. #
- An easy FAQ of what they're doing wrong, why a free web is so important and why you should care.#
- So far no response from Google or the EFF, also promoting this. #
- BTW, someone please put us in touch with historian Heather Cox Richardson. I'm a fan and regular reader. But I want to tell her there's more to tech than the big tech companies. There's the web, which historians will wish was preserved, instead of being paved over by the big tech companies. This is scandalous. This is happening now. We can help each other by assuring the open web continues, and we get to ask informed questions. Most reporters are intimidated by the tech, we can help there. And btw we can also create tools and publishing platforms that don't have the lock-in problems of the ones you're using. And we would love to make software for you, for love, for the cause, not for money. #
#- Compromise? Look for a page called googleIswrong.md on any site it is about to accuse, and offer the reader a chance to hear our side. This is so against any sense of the web being an open platform. My blog should have the ability to hear the case against it and offer a defense. #
- Think about what comes next, and remember that their CEO goes to public meetings with top US government officials.#
#
Linkblog items for the day
All the drama around AI’s takeover of mathematics.
theverge.com
Apple changes full-disk access permissions to curb abuse from AI agents.
arstechnica.com
The Kia PV5 makes for a ridiculously cool dump truck.
electrek.co
Ranking the NBA's best starting fives: 76ers look great on paper, but champion Knicks hold No. 1 spot. #knicksIn5
cbssports.com
评论
发表评论