Scripting News: Saturday, September 2, 2023

Patti Smith: I haven't fucked much with the past but I've fucked plenty with the future.#
If you think of yourself as an "open source developer" please ask yourself this question. Are you as committed to freedom for people who use your software as you are to freedom for developers? Not just freedom to modify the source code, that isn't a meaningful power for must people, but freedom to do anything they like with the stuff they create, something your software has to facilitate. #
I use ChatGPT to help me write code. When it gives code examples, I'd like it to use my admittedly uncommon indenting style. Is there a way to do that? #
Why can't I have an editor that I can give ChatGPT commands to. I do it anyway, I just have to copy-paste the result into my editor. Couldn't it save me that step by being integrated, or even better if we had good standards for scriptable apps. We were getting started on that in 1990 when Apple blew it all up, btw. Just sayin.#
I really have to take the time to learn how GitHub co-pilot works. But I still want to use my editor. See the problem?? It's the same problem Slack has. Basically every software product of 2023 adopts the attitude that it is a world unto itself. #
Today's songs: Margaritaville and Come Monday. Yeah it's not the greatest music as people are say, but these are music from a great part of my life. Youth, great friends, love, and a sense of purpose. Like many people my age, these songs have strong emotional value. #

Linkblog items for the day.

Burning Man 2023 rain keeps burners confined to camps. rgj.com
Republican race remains stuck as Trump dominates heading into hell. washingtonpost.com
OpenAI API. openai.com
"The proposed rule would require that companies make it as easy to cancel a subscription as it is to sign up for one." gizmodo.com
Burning Man festival-goers told to conserve food and water. bbc.com
Plan for 55,000-acre utopia dreamed by Silicon Valley elites unveiled. theguardian.com
Official Burning Man Live Webcast 2023. youtube.com
Is There a Crisis in Cosmology? nytimes.com
How Google made the world go viral. theverge.com
It seems like everyone has Covid-19. cnn.com
'Margaritaville' singer Jimmy Buffett, who turned beach-bum life into an empire, dies at 76. apnews.com
Copyright 1994-2023 Dave Winer.
This email was sent on: 9/3/2023, 12:00:01 AM Eastern.
"It's a good time for a backup."
This blog has been running for: 28 years, 10 months, 26 days, 9 hours, 0 minutes, 1 second.
How to subscribe. Read on the web. Click here to unsubscribe.

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Scripting News: Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Scripting News: Tuesday, February 13, 2024