Scripting News: Thursday, January 4, 2024

I always have multiple tabs open in my outliner. This tab, the one I'm writing into now, is for Scripting News. I have one for my development work, general notes, not project-specific. And tabs for all the projects I've been working on in the last few days or in some cases weeks or months. From a writing standpoint, it doesn't matter whether they're on different sites, the idea of a site is not even in the user interface of my editor. In WordPress it's everything. The usual caveat: unless I'm missing something. I imagine people use browser tabs to work on more than one document at a time? I keep thinking there's a lot of stuff we can do to make WordPress work better for writers, I'm trying to be nice about this, but it doesn't work at all for me as a writer. I want it to work. I still can't believe there aren't a dozen different approaches to writing in WordPress. Seems like a fair amount of innovation is possible. I'm a writer who also is a developer. This has been bugging me for the last year or so. Why do I think WordPress is so important? 1. Obviously it has a huge installed base. If there's an opportunity to create something that even a small number of them would like, it's worth doing. 2. WordPress is the only product out there that supports all the features of textcasting. So If I want lots of outlets for basic text writing, you have to start somewhere. Luckily there's WordPress, sitting there, ready to be recast as a social media app. If you know me, you know I love puzzles like this. 😄#
The usage of news.scripting.com keeps going up. All elements of an item are optional, however at least one of title or description must be present. I'm interested in knowing what you think, what you like, what could be improved, does it give you ideas, how can we help. Here's a place for comments. #
A discussion about whether a feed reader should support titleless items. It should, without question. The spec is very clear. "All elements of an item are optional, however at least one of title or description must be present." It's how social media sites like Bluesky, Mastodon, et al hook up to the RSS network. Their posts not only don't require titles, they don't allow them, something I'd like to see them ease up on, per textcasting. Let the writer decide if a post needs a title. #
A simple rule for designers of social web systems.#
    Let the writer decide if a post needs a title.#
It isn't one-size-fits-all. Some posts will have titles, others won't.#
PS: I think "Let the writer decide" has real potential as a slogan. 😄#

Linkblog items for the day.

New York Knicks Trade RJ Barrett, Ultimate Consolation Prize. si.com
Wired, in its prime hired writers who had something interesting and eclectic going on, like my buddy Dave Jacobs, who did the Fetish column. om.co
Fear of MAGA "backlash" is no reason to let Donald Trump make an illegal run for president. salon.com
Trump Received Millions From Foreign Governments as President. nytimes.com
Happy Birthday, Jabber! igniterealtime.org
2017: Bootstrap Demos by Dave. scripting.com
Why Trump wants you to compare him to Hitler. Because then you're not calling him a loser substack.com
Apple Could Acquire Peloton This Year, Fund Manager Forecast Suggests. macrumors.com
Copyright 1994-2024 Dave Winer.
This email was sent on: 1/5/2024, 12:00:00 AM Eastern.
"Takes a lickin, keeps on tickin."
This blog has been running for: 29 years, 2 months, 27 days, 10 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds.
How to subscribe. Read on the web. Click here to unsubscribe.

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Scripting News: Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Scripting News: Tuesday, February 13, 2024