Scripting News: Friday, October 2, 2026

I like the way AI is evolving, with Muse from Meta and Dots from OpenAI. Even the main programs are starting to provide real world services that the providers, ie banks, groceries, airlines, health care portals etc should be providing. They could possibly take over commerce the way Amazon has taken over shopping. There's room to improve in everything about the way we do business. And it seems like they've been researching this and experimenting (of course) and this is what they've come up with. Haven't tried them yet, but it's a good direction to go. It really should be Apple and Google doing this, btw. Also ChatGPT can help you understand your credit score. That's something I'd seriously like to ask some questions about. #
  • After running the first Bloggercon at Harvard in 2003 a famous tech company had a meetup to talk about the same stuff at a private invite-only session in the Bay Area. The invitations went to all the discussion leaders at Bloggercon. People I chose. I was not invited. Only one of my friends told me about it. Not sure if any of them went. #
  • Second time, Google invited a bunch of people I was working on with RSS 2.0 to a private meeting. Most of the people I was working with, but again, not me. Had I been there, I would have said don't reinvent, let's work together, do all the things you want, but slowly, with real software and real users, but that wasn't the plan. #
  • In the first case I think the publisher was trying to decide if they should compete with BloggerCon, and Google wanted to build a protocol that was more ambitious than RSS 2.0. They likely were sincere in that, but they had not learned that bootstrapping worked way better than Immaculate Conception, where a small group of insiders invent something complicated out of thin air that rocks the world. If you look at history, there aren't many examples of that. Eventually, as I understand it, that became ActivityPub. I think things would have turned out much better if Google had kicked back and let the process that got us to RSS 2.0 continue. But everyone wants to work with the BigCo, I've learned repeatedly that it's much more likely to work if you join forces with individual developers, not big companies. #
  • I only held four BloggerCon's, I would have been happy to work with a publishing company and turn it over to them, with some rules about what they could and couldn't do with it, for example it was a user's conference, the tech industry was welcome, but it wasn't for them. When we did BloggerCon at Stanford in 2004 that was apparently very hard for the tech people to get. Many of them tried to pitch their products and were prevented from doing so. #
Linkblog items for the day
Autopsy shows Tennessee National Guard fatally shot 20-year-old armed man in the back.

cnn.com
OpenAI's Dots: A First Look.

macstories.net
White House Officials Told the DOJ to Delay Action on Abortion Ahead of the Midterms.

washingtonsun.com
Readers Choose Their Top TV Shows of the 21st Century.

nytimes.com
Copyright 1994-2026 Dave Winer.
This email was sent on: 10/3/2026, 12:00:02 AM Eastern.
"Don't make me laugh."
This blog has been running for: 31 years, 11 months, 25 days, 9 hours, 0 minutes, 2 seconds.
How to subscribe. Read on the web. Click here to unsubscribe.

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Fw: Scripting News: Thursday, July 20, 2023

Scripting News: Saturday, January 10, 2026

Scripting News: Saturday, April 5, 2025